Extravagant Love

Can you see your face in this picture? Can you feel the Lord’s hand of forgiveness and assurance on your head? Oh, Hosanna! Jesus the Christ be praised!  He alone can forgive and set the captives free!

washingfeetofjesus.jpg

One of the Pharisees asked him over for a meal. He went to the Pharisee’s house and sat down at the dinner table.
Just then a woman of the village, the town harlot, having learned that Jesus was a guest in the home of the Pharisee, came with a bottle of very expensive perfume
and stood at his feet, weeping, raining tears on his feet. Letting down her hair, she dried his feet, kissed them, and anointed them with the perfume.
When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man was the prophet I thought he was, he would have known what kind of woman this is who is falling all over him.”
Jesus said to him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.” “Oh? Tell me.”
“Two men were in debt to a banker. One owed five hundred silver pieces, the other fifty.
Neither of them could pay up, and so the banker canceled both debts. Which of the two would be more grateful?”
Simon answered, “I suppose the one who was forgiven the most.” “That’s right,” said Jesus.
Then turning to the woman, but speaking to Simon, he said, “Do you see this woman? I came to your home; you provided no water for my feet, but she rained tears on my feet and dried them with her hair.
You gave me no greeting, but from the time I arrived she hasn’t quit kissing my feet.
You provided nothing for freshening up, but she has soothed my feet with perfume.
Impressive, isn’t it? She was forgiven many, many sins, and so she is very, very grateful. If the forgiveness is minimal, the gratitude is minimal.”
Then he spoke to her: “I forgive your sins.”
That set the dinner guests talking behind his back: “Who does he think he is, forgiving sins!”
He ignored them and said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”
(Luke 7:36-50, The Message)

About these ads

11 thoughts on “Extravagant Love

1. Cheetah says:

As a matter of fact, I can relate to this woman.
    How wonderful it is to be free of recrimination before God. How wonderful it is to be unleashed from the sin that drags us down. How wonderful it is to finally be able to stand upright instead of going around bent nearly double with the weight of your unredeemed life.
    I see only relief on this woman’s face. I see only thankfulness that finally, finally, there is relief from her burden.

2. pasturescott says:

You captured it, Cheetah. Right down to the nth detail. Your life must be an epic example of His matchless, freeing grace. God bless you, my sister!

Relief…I can see that!

3. J.Thomas says:

I know a brother who is struggling to let go of a “Jesus” who judges and condemns.
    He almost cannot even say His name anymore because of all the religious baggage that has been attached to it.

What a shame.

We are forgiven for HIS NAMES SAKE.

That says alot doesn’t it.

For His names sake…
    Wow.

Great post, my brother.
    The Lord is good.

4. pasturescott says:

His Name! There is no other Name! Let us call upon it, let us fly to it, let us rest in it, let us celebrate it! I will pray for this brother you speak of, J, that he will come to find the sweetness of the Name that oozes with “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more”. And the many others, I assume, as well.

“For His Names’ sake…” I will have that on my heart through today! Thank you, J., for constantly adding into my life. The Lord indeed is good!

5. Marlene says:

I need to ask about the picture above (found here: http://pasturescott.com/2007/04/04/extravagant-love/) I would dearly love to post on a teaching about the same….the picture is “washingfeetofJesus” and I would like permission to use it as well as the name of the artist.
    Please PLEASE reply soon.
    Giant hugs,
    Your sissy in Christ Jesus,
    Marlene

6. ekaria27 says:

It has blessed me. Thank u !
    I am posting this pic in my blog and put a link into yours.
    Hope you don’t mind.
    GBU

7. ~D says:

Unconditional Love!

What Do YOU Think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 901 other followers